1. Set up your Google Shopping - Online Products catalog
Add to your account the Google Online Product channel.
Then adapt values from your products catalogue to channel's expectations.
1.1 Multi-countries distribution
If you distribute your products in different countries, you'll have in Lengow as many Google Shopping - Online Products feeds as necessary to publish your products in these countries. Each Google Shopping - Online Products feed is independent of the others, and although there are similarities, requires a specific setting.
You have to exclude these products from the ones send to Google Shopping - Online Products:
- The products that you do not wish to sell in this platform.
- The products in your feed that don’t match the type of products normally found on Google Shopping - Online Products.
- "Parent products", if your source feed contains any.
To set up special offers / sales, fill in the following fields:
- Sale price: the current, discount price of your products
- Price: the previous, higher price of your products
If you prepare your sales or promotions in advance, fill in this field so that your reduced prices won't be displayed immediately:
- Sale price effective date:This attribute defines the date range during which the sale price of the item is used.
- Ex: 2019-01-09T08:00-0200/2019-02-19T23:00-0200
If you use this field, Google recommends that you set your feed at least 7 days before the first day of sales to be sure that the changes are taken into account on the day. Check our calendar!
Make sure to adapt the time zone according to your location (0100 corresponds to the French time zone for the winter sales and 0200 corresponds to the summer time in France).
2. Integration of your catalogue on Google Shopping - Online Products
Log in to your Google Merchant Center account by visiting the following address: https://merchants.google.com
Once you have logged in, visit the Products > Feeds page and then click on the "+" button.
Then, fill in the fields and select options on the "Setup" page:
Few specifications regarding options at your disposal, on this page:
"Fetch frequency" : If your catalog is daily updated, then select the "Daily" value, so that Google will update it one a day.
"File URL" : fill in here the url that Lengow support transmitted you once the feed was created.
Once all this steps are complete, the feed you registered appears blow within the "Feeds" page:
Click on the feed name to change parameters.
Within the "Settings" page, please keep the "Autodetect" mode to make sure that the feed operates well.
Within the "Fetch schedule" page, amend and choose the frequency to fetch your feed.
Finally, within the "Default currency" page, select a default currency if needed.
3. Error report
Here are the most common you may encounter, while submitting your feed to Google Shopping - Online Products.
Read this report carefully and correct the possible errors.
To help you correct these errors:
- View the video of our webinar "How to fix errors for Google Shopping feed in Lengow?" (French audio / English texts)
- Read the content of this webinar and access to the links in this document
- Read the explanations within the Google Merchant Center Help.
In addition, here are other main errors from Google Shopping - Online Products when submitting a new catalog:
3.1 An unclaimed website URL
Before you can import product files into Google Merchant Center, you must ‘claim’ your website URL. On the basic settings page from Google follow the instructions : https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/176793?hl=en.
3.2 Description and/or title are too long
If this happens, you need to apply the TRUNC function that will shorten the values in your title or description fields. This function is used as follows: TRUNC($YOUR_FIELD,150) . THis rule should be applied only for products when the (YOUR_FIELD) is not blank in your catalogue.
3.3 Excessive capitalisation
Google restricts the use of capital letters in fields. Use the UPPERWORD function for Title, Description and Brand fields, when they contain capital letters in your source catalogue.
3.4 Unique Product Code issues
Google warns you when the unique product code is missing for certain products. When this happens, you need to specify a value in the EAN or MPN fields.
3.5 Postage and packaging errors
Your postage and packaging fees must be submitted in the following format GB:::5.90 (GB for Great Britain, DE for Germany, FR for France...)
3.6 Required attributes are missing
Some categories are requiring attributes. Make sure to complete those attributes within the feed sent to Google.
3.7 Click through count variation between Lengow and Google Analytics
There is a difference in counting clicks, which is caused by the items that are incorporated into the calculation:
- Lengow counts clicks originating in Google Shopping and PLAs (Product Listing Ads) that relate to the products displayed above Google’s search engine results.
- Google Analytics only counts clicks from Google Shopping.
4. Daily optimisation
To optimise the broadcast of your products, read our guide "Optimise products distribution".
5. Useful links
- Google Shopping - Online Products feed structure and fields definition
- Summary of attribute requirements
- My products are rejected, why?
- View your published products
- Associate your Google Adwords and Google Merchant Center accounts (especially to display images in your Adwords ads)
- Specificities regarding "Unique product identifiers" for Google Adwords
- Shopping policies